Frozen Birthday Cake

On to birthday party number 2. We always have two parties every year because my husband has a large family and everyone at one party would just be too much. This year, my daughter decided to take advantage of the fact that she gets two parties every year to request a completely different theme for her family party. She wants Frozen. Particularly Elsa. The older sister with the blond hair. Just like her. Okay.

The inside she wanted the same, though. Chocolate funfetti checkerboard. But I was able to talk her into a one tier cake.

I had looked at a lot of pictures on Pinterest and my favorite one had not just white snowflakes on it, but white and blue daisies. Who comes up with this stuff? That's brilliant! That's what I wanted to do for my daughter's cake.

However, with all the funfetti I've been making lately, I ran out of my good sprinkles. I decided to just try it with dollar store sprinkles just to see if it would work. I tried it. And the only color that showed up was blue. I thought, for a Frozen cake? That's perfect! I'll tell people it was on purpose.

 I cut the layers with a circle cutter and a knife tracing a bowl. I assembled them directly on the cake board and they were all frozen solid before I started. It made it harder to cut, but they were easier to handle than they would have been thawed. I alternated the colors to create the checkerboard pattern.
 Now, I should mention that before I froze the cake layers, I had trimmed the browned outside of the white layer, but not of the chocolate layer. So my chocolate layers were hanging out over the sides of the cake.
 I trimmed them all to the same size using a serrated knife. The filling and the frosting are both Swiss meringue buttercream.
 Then I crumb coated, which was very important in this case, and chilled the cake to allow it to set up.
 Then I frosted the cake one more time to smooth it down and chilled it to allow it to set up.
 While I was waiting for the cake to chill, I decided to make the light blue colored fondant I needed for the cake. I had a small amount that I wanted to color match. But it wasn't anywhere near enough to cover my cake. I added a small amount of bright blue to quite a bit of white and kneaded it until it was completely mixed together.
 The color was spot on. Exactly the Elsa Ice Queen color I was looking for.
 I checked my cake at this point and it still wasn't set up yet. So, I rolled out some white fondant and cut out some of my accents using snowflake cutters and daisy plunger cutters.
 Then my cake was finally set, so I rolled out my light blue fondant and covered my cake with it. I also placed the cake on an acrylic cake board before doing this step.
 I trimmed the bottom edge and began placing the letters of my daughter's name that I had cut out using a Disney letter cutter. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of starting with the S. And I had to admit that I had started too far to the right and didn't have enough room for the whole name.
 What could I do? I used a sharp knife to pick up the white letters and placed them farther to the left to allow the entire name to fit on the top of the cake. Fortunately, it wasn't super obvious afterwards.
 Then I placed the number 5 and all the snowflakes in a random pattern on the top of the cake.
 Then I placed the white daisies around the side in various heights.
 Then, on all except the smallest flowers, I placed a second blue daisy on top of it, a size smaller than the first.
 I really like how they looked.
 I think this cake turned out lovely, as well. And this one was significantly simpler than the first.
 Happy Birthday, Sabrina!
Watch the whole process on our YouTube channel.
https://youtu.be/IC6xwZVeWzo
Für die deutsche Version, klickt hier: https://youtu.be/6708XQnn42o

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper