Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck Birthday Cake

This post was neither supported nor affiliated with the Disney Corporation. It fulfills the requirements to be user generated content.

This cake is for my own daughter. She's turning two. And she told me what she wanted. Mimi... quack quack... bow. So, if you speak Natalie, that means Minnie Mouse, Daisy Duck and bows.

The cake was peanut butter cake with Swiss meringue peanut butter buttercream. Just FYI, if you add peanut butter to Swiss meringue buttercream, it makes it quite soft, but it will still firm up in the fridge.

I began by making a couple of toppers with Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck on them. I knew to get them true to the characters, I would need a picture to copy. I found this one in my daughter's book with both faces about the same size. 
 I placed a piece of parchment paper over the top of the photos.
 And traced three of each with a marker. If you want to draw on parchment paper, you have to use either a pencil or a marker because ballpoint pens won't write on parchment.
 I loved how detailed the tracings were.
 I mean, how cute is Minnie Mouse?
 Then I mixed some of my dark purple fondant with white to get the lavender color Daisy wears.
 It was still a bit light, so I added more dark purple at that point.
 I was pretty happy with the color.
 I cut out a couple of large circles out of lavender and pale pink fondant to serve as the backgrounds of the characters and to lend them both a bit of stability.
 Then, I cut out pieces of the tracing and cut them out of lavender and white..
 Then I mixed some yellow and orange to make the color of Daisy's beak.
 I cut it out following the tracing as well.
 Then I cut out the inside of Daisy's mouth out of dark pink fondant and the tongue out of light pink fondant. I also mixed a tiny bit of blue into white to get the light blue of Daisy's eyes.
 Then I cut them out and placed them on. Her eyelids are the same lavender as her bow.
 I placed all the parts together onto the background and added some black pupils and eyelashes.
 Then I thinned down some black food coloring with clear alcohol and painted it on with a fine brush to add more details of her face.
 Then I did the same thing with Minnie Mouse. I rolled out some dark pink after I added a couple of dots of white to be polka dots. Then I cut it out following the tracing. Then I cut out the black pieces and placed them on.
 Then I cut out her face out of flesh-colored fondant.
Then I cut out her eyes out of white fondant and placed them on. Her mouth is out of red and her tongue is dark pink. Then I made the pupils out of black as well as the eyelashes.
 I placed all the pieces onto the background and used the same gray edible paint and a fine paintbrush to give her face and bow some shading.
 I really loved how they turned out. The depth of Minnie's face didn't come out that well, but Daisy was adorable! I was really proud of them and was excited to put them on my daughter's cake.
 I also made some bows using bow cutters that I have as well as a couple of freehanded ones that were bigger than my cutters. I put tissues in between the loops of the bows to make them three-dimensional.
 I left them on the back of the table to dry for two days. In order to reach it, my daughter would have to climb onto the table. I figured they were pretty safe.
 Unfortunately, that's exactly what my daughter did. Here's the aftermath of her trying to eat Minnie.
 Daisy also didn't go unscathed, but she was much more whole than poor Minnie.
 I pushed the remnants of Minnie back into shape as best as I could. This was the result. I must admit this actually made me sick to my stomach to see what bad shape Minnie was in. I spent hours making those figures trying to get every detail right. Just to see them destroyed in a moment by those little hands. However, since this was her own work and it was for her birthday cake, I decided to use it on the cake anyway. I mean, it will make a good story as she gets older.
 I also made some daisies and dots to decorate the cake with.
 Then I had to mix more pink fondant because I didn't have enough to start with. I mixed pale pink and white together and added a bit of pink food coloring so it wasn't too light.
 I stacked and frosted my peanut butter cake with Swiss meringue peanut butter buttercream. I had to chill it after every step to allow the soft buttercream to set up.
 I covered the cake in pink fondant. Then I added a rope of pink and black to the bottom for a border. Then I placed my two mangled characters on top.
 There was a tiny gap in the border, but I wasn't concerned since I was planning on decorating it with bows and polka dots and that could easily cover it up.
 Then I cut out my daughter's name and age out of dark pink and placed it on the cake.
 Finally, I added a couple daisies to cover up the worst tears in Minnie's face. I added a few bows and filled all the rest of the gaps with white polka dots.
 Despite Minnie feeling shy, I love the way this cake turned out.
 I probably took me longer than any cake this size ever has. It's a seven inch cake that took over four hours to make. But when it's for my own child... the sky's the limit.
 Happy Second Birthday, Natalie!





 











To watch the whole process on YouTube, click here: https://youtu.be/eINcHO5875o
Um das ganze Prozess auf YouTube anzuschauen, hier klicken: https://youtu.be/cBJNAYeJbwc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper