September 11th Memorial Cake

It's been 20 years since September 11th, 2001. I can't believe it's been 20 years. I was in college when the twin towers were destroyed. I remember it so vividly. I will never forget. I knew that I had to make a memorial cake.

I am definitely not trying to trivialize anything. This is just how I work through my own feelings about what I experienced that day and hope that is speaks to others as well.

I made a batch of vegan American buttercream and colored it black, red, blue and two shades of green.

I frosted a sheet cake dummy with white buttercream.
I printed out a picture of the lower 48 United States.
I traced around the cut out with a toothpick.
And I traced the outline of the twin towers inside the US map. They look different because the twin towers actually didn't line up. They were more like catty corner from each other. They weren't in a line. So, no matter where you were standing when looking at them, the perspective would never be exact.
Then I put the buttercream in piping bags. The two greens and the black with small round tips. The red, blue and white with small star tips.
Then I followed the outlines with the darker green.
And I filled in the map with the lighter green and smoothed it on.
And I filled in the twin towers image as well.
And I piped the outlines of the towers again.
Then I wrote on the top of the cake We will Never Forget.
Then I piped a rough shape of the American flag on the side of the cake with the star tips.
I also piped the flag on the sides of the cake.
This is very similar to a quilt I made right after the terrorist attacks. So, this is a very genuine design.
At the time, all Americans were feeling very united and patriotic. All we wanted to do was help each other. We all waved flags as a sign of solidarity.
We will never forget.


Watch me make this cake and tell my own, personal story of September 11th on my YouTube channel here: https://youtu.be/ITxngLrUJvM
Schaut zu wie ich diese Torte mache und meine eigene persönliche Geschichte vom 11. September erzähle auf meinem YouTube kanal hier: https://youtu.be/GDyV85hXJCQ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper