Dress up a Sheet Cake: Skulls and Roses Til Death do us Part Cake

This is a hauntingly romantic cake design I came up with last year, but didn't have a reason to make. I decided to make it this year as part of our series on how to dress up a sheet cake. I don't need a reason to make those.

I made some black and purple buttercream. Usually when I make purple buttercream, I add pink to it, but since this is halloween-themed, I decided not to add anything. That makes the purple quite cool. Also, the black buttercream is more dark gray, but it darkens with time.
 Then I had three piping tips. A small round tip, a petal tip and a star tip.
 Then I put black buttercream in a piping bag with a small round tip and a star tip. The purple buttercream is in a piping bag with the petal tip.
 Then I piped a handful of purple roses.

 Then I took a cake dummy the same size as a quarter sheet cake.
 This design would work on any shaped cake, though. I frosted it with white frosting. You can frost it yourself or buy it frosted.
 Then I piped a black shell border at the bottom of the cake.
 And I piped a star border around the top of the cake.
 I used a pointed tool to score the words "Til Death do us Part" on the cake.
 And I piped the words in with black buttercream on the top of the cake.
 Then I carefully placed the buttercream roses around the corners and edges.
 Next, I piped some cornelli lace onto the side of the cake with black buttercream.
 Then I used a fondant press form to make some skulls out of white fondant.
 And I placed them between the purple roses.
 Finally, I piped a few dots around the edges to fill in some empty space.
 I really love this design. I could totally imagine making a similar design again. Just because I love it.
 This cake is perfect for an October wedding or for people who follow the gothic subculture.
 Or any romantic yet slightly morbid event.
 But look how lovely the black looks on the white with the cool purple. I really love it.






















Watch us make this cake on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/2_NEgsilRHE
Schaut zu wie wir diese Torte auf YouTube machen hier: https://youtu.be/DVbsVgcFmlo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper