In Memoriam: Fall Leaves Cake

This cake was for my daughter's kindergarten for their St. Martin's Market. Every year in early November they have a bake sale. So, it gives me an opportunity to make a cake.

This time, I wanted to make a Fall-themed cake. I asked a friend what flavor I should make. What flavor do her kids like the best? Strawberry. So, I made strawberry cake and had a good amount of leftover strawberry buttercream that I used up for this cake.

I started out two days beforehand and used some fall colors: yellow, orange, red and brown to marble some Fall colors and cut out some Fall leaves.


 I laid them over a piece of crumbled up foil to dry in a more natural shape.
Then I filled my cake with strawberry buttercream and frosted it with it as well.
 While the frosting was cooling in the fridge, I cut out a handful of Fall leaves from brown, red, orange and yellow fondant. Some of them were marbled together. I really loved the variety of colors. So pretty!

 Then, starting with the darkest leaves, I placed them around the cake.



 At this point, I ran out of leaves that I had already cut and decided to cut some more out of yellow-orange.
Then I decided to use the dried leaves that I had made beforehand.
 Then it looked like this. I love the texture the dried leaves give.
 But I decided also to include a bit of symbolism in this cake. Fall leaves stand for those who have fallen. Most that have fallen fall at an old age when it's only right and correct. But sometimes, someone falls before their time. I have known quite a few people who have fallen before their time. I decided to represent this by one, single green leaf in the middle of the cake. You can't miss it. And you can't help but ask yourself... "How did that get there?"

So, this single, green leaf represents those I knew who passed away before their time: my student who was shot at age 19. My mission companion who was killed in a car accident at age 26. My friend's son who drowned in a river saving someone else's life at age 18. My younger brother who died of an accidental overdose at age 31. And finally, my nephew who died of brain damage caused by complications at birth at age 2 days old. All taken before their time. All suddenly. All unexpectedly. All where you ask yourself: how did that green leaf get there?

 In general, I love how this cake looks. It really is very appropriate for Fall.
 If I had it to do over again, I would have used chocolate frosting so it weren't so visible through the leaves.
 But I feel like the symbolism really comes across and I love the beautiful Fall colors.















To watch the whole process, check out our YouTube channel here: https://youtu.be/FWVV4kWACR4
Um das ganze Prozess auf YouTube zu schauen, klickt hier: https://youtu.be/0AT2sSz5vMY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper