Buttercream Wreath Cake

This cake is a donation for the soup kitchen Christmas party for the homeless. But I feel like making something for the homeless is what the season is really all about. So, I decided to make a decorated cake with piping to look like a Christmas wreath.

I used some left over chocolate chip cake I had in the freezer and made one and a half batches of American buttercream. I filled and crumb coated the cake in white buttercream and split some into a few bowls and colored them green, red and yellow.

 Then I frosted the cake nice and smooth. I now have my blank canvas.
 I put the green frosting in a piping bag with a leaf tip, the yellow frosting with a medium star tip, and the red in two different bags. One with a large petal tip and the other with a Russian rose piping tip.
 I began by piping the leaves of the wreath moving in one direction around the circle. Then I made my best attempt at piping a red bow. I wasn't at all happy with the bow, and I eventually used a spoon to take off the big blog of icing in the middle of it.
 Then I used the Russian piping tip to make a few roses around the wreath and put one in the middle of the bow as well. I loved using the Russian piping tip and you can count on seeing these more often in the future. I also put some yellow star flowers around the wreath.
 Lastly, I made a border around the bottom of the cake. I piped leaves all going the same direction. And I emptied the piping bag with the Russian piping tip making a few roses around the bottom. Then I filled in the gaps with the yellow star piping tip.

 I think it turned out lovely, and was just what I was hoping for. Despite needing more practice making buttercream bows, I think the end result was really pretty and festive.
 Happy holidays!





To watch the whole process on our YouTube channel, click here: https://youtu.be/Cq9X69tQuxs
Um das ganze Prozess auf YouTube anzuschauen, klickt hier: https://youtu.be/h9NJSsqm2u8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper