Pirate Ship Birthday Cake

This cake was for a friend of mine's little boy who was turning four. What's he into? He loves pirates. Everything about pirates. So, what else could I make for him? I made him a pirate ship cake.

He requested chocolate cake and I had some leftover chocolate buttercream. I baked the cake in a rectangular form, cut it into two layers and cut out the middle third of the top layer and put it on top of the back layer.
 Then I crumb coated the cake in chocolate buttercream.
 I covered this cake in panels of chocolate fondant.



 Once the cake was completely paneled, I made the wood texture on it. I started out using a ruler to make the lines of the planks of wood then emphasized them with fondant tools. I added texture with a Dresden tool.
 I loved how it looked.

 Then I rolled a snake of chocolate fondant and cut it into one and a half centimeter pieces and glued them onto the rails and topped it with a strip of fondant.
 I did the same thing along the back.
 Then I cut out the general shape of a ship's wheel. I started with a large piping tip to make the outside circle, cut out a larger circle and cut out eight stokes. Then triangular pieces out of the center to complete it.
 I stuck it on to the middle of the ship.
 Then I freehand cut out a rough anchor shape out of gray fondant.
 I also included a few circles out of gray onto the side to be kind of like the place where cannons would be. And I added a number 4 onto the front of the ship. Finally, what pirate ship would be complete without the jolly roger? I was nervous to make it myself out of fondant, and I was really worried about how it would hold up without falling down or breaking or sagging. In the end, I decided to print out the jolly roger on regular paper and poke a lollipop stick through it. Inedible, but worked so much better than fondant ever would have. The blue sails in the back are from a pirate ship kit. I really think it was the way to go.
 But seriously, how adorable is that?
 It was perfect for a little boy's fourth birthday.
 Simple, yet effective.



























Watch the whole process on our YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/7bVv7pyCc_w
Schaut den ganzen Prozess auf unserem YouTube Kanal an: https://youtu.be/g8uTVV2w4fg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper