Vegan Sprinkle Fault Line Cake

This cake was actually for a baptism, but I was basically allowed to bring anything I wanted. So, I decided I wanted to try a trend that I've seen around for the past several months.

The first thing I did was mix up some gourmet sprinkles. This is my own mix of four or five different kinds of sprinkles of various sizes and colors. Aren't they colorful?
 Then it's very important to have a fairly tall cake. I would actually consider the size I made to be pretty much minimum. I had three layers of vegan chocolate cake. Mine was a seven inch round.
 Then I fill and stack the cakes. I filled and frosted this cake with my vegan American buttercream. So, this cake was 100% vegan.
 Next, I crumb coat the cake. And chocolate cake with white frosting? It needed the crumb coat.
 Now, before I frost the cake again, I press some sprinkles onto the side of the cake. That they went down to the bottom was kind of a mistake, but it doesn't matter that much. You basically want to cover at least the middle third of the side of the cake.
 And I cleaned up the excess sprinkles off the cake base.
Then I put some clean buttercream in a piping bag without a tip.
 And I messily piped some frosting around the top and the bottom of the side of the cake. You can be as messy as you want to be here because it's the scraping that makes it look nice, not the frosting. You can also apply it with a spatula, if you prefer. I just found the piping bag convenient.
 Then I used a bench scraper on the sides. You may know that I almost never use this tool because in general I prefer the off-set spatula, but it's important for this look. Otherwise the bottom edge won't look right.
 Now, scrape back the frosting. You can fill in any gaps you may have on the frosting job, but the center should look ragged and random like this. That's exactly what you're going for.
 Now, instead of cleaning up the edge of the cake, I decided to frost the top first, instead.
 Then, smoothing back that last lip of buttercream really gave it a nice edge.
 Next, I put more buttercream in a piping bag. This one fitted with a medium star tip.
 Today I decided on a rope border. Isn't this one fun?
 And just for good measure, I put the last of my sprinkle medly onto the top of the cake.
 I feel like this really completes the look. I mean, it looks like the cake itself is covered with sprinkles and that I just frosted and piped around it.
 I must admit, this is a cake trend I could get on board with. It's lovely. And really not at all difficult.
 Who wouldn't love seeing large amounts of sprinkles peeking through the sides?
 So much color and fun. This design would be perfect for a birthday cake or other semi-casual occasion.








Watch us make this lovely cake on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/wI6I42Kj0Zw
Schaut zu wie wir diese wunderschöne Torte auf YouTube machen hier: https://youtu.be/zm5Aih_A-pY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper