Pink Ballet Cake

I didn't make this cake for any particular event. This was just a design I thought was beautiful and wanted to make. So, I made it for us. Consequently, I only made it using one batch of vanilla cake baking it in a five and four inch baking pans.

For a ballet cake, though, we need a lot of pink fondant. I didn't have much. I only had a bit of dusty rose, a bit of store-bought pink and some white that I mixed all together.
 The color turned out kind of a baby pink. That was just what I wanted.
 Then I made two fat sausage shapes out of the baby pink fondant. I wanted them to be about the same size.
 Then I used a knife to cut out an oval of fondant out of the middle to form the ballet slippers.
 I smoothed the bottom with a ball tool and the edges with my fingers.
 I used this fondant press mold to make a couple of small bows.
 This is what they look like when you press them out.
 I picked my favorite two and stuck them on the slippers with edible glue.
 Then I stood them up on the toes to dry overnight.
 I am making two tiers of cake. The bottom tier is five inches across. I frosted it with Swiss meringue buttercream.
 Now it's time to stack the checkerboard cake.
 I filled it with a thin layer of Swiss meringue buttercream and alternated the colors.
 It ended up quite tall.
 Then I covered the bottom tier with the baby pink fondant.
 And I trimmed it to be flush with the cake board.
 Then I made some darker pink fondant. I just mixed some white fondant with some pink gel food coloring.
 I rolled it out and covered the top tier with the darker pink.
 Now I have my two tiers covered in different shades of pink fondant.
 I stacked them with the top tier closer to one side than the other to make enough room for the ballet slippers.
 Then I rolled out some dark pink fondant and used a Russian piping tip to cut out about one inch circles.
 I thinned the edges with a ball tool and folded it like this.
 And I stuck them onto the side of the bottom tier.
 I kept sticking on more ruffles.

 Until they covered the sides of the entire bottom tier. It's supposed to look a bit like a tutu.
 Then I cut thin strips of the baby pink fondant and wrapped it around the top tier criss-crossing itself.
 I wanted it to be reminiscent of the way the ballet slippers are tied.
 Then I placed the ballet slippers onto the cake. I also added a bow to the top and a little tail of ribbon onto the bottom tier.
 I think this cake turned out gorgeous.
 It's so very girly and is perfectly appropriate for a girly, ballet-themed birthday party.
 I mean, look at those ruffles!
 The ballet slippers are sweet.
 And the ribbons and bows are lovely and very feminine.

















Watch us make the whole cake on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/CODrcIQcKzg
Schaut zu wie wir die ganze Torte auf YouTube machen hier: https://youtu.be/ClVBhtsXzvE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper