Raspberry Drip Cake

This cake was for my brother-in-law's 50th birthday. My sister-in-law came to me as she was planning her husband's party and asked me to make a cake for the occasion. The only desire she shared was something with raspberries.

I didn't want to try to make a raspberry cake for this cake, so I used vanilla cake. But I flavored the buttercream. This is one recipe of my Swiss meringue buttercream and I folded a full cup of chunkless seedless raspberry jam into it. I didn't want there to be seeds in the buttercream. I also colored it with pink food coloring and a bit of purple.

I put a good amount in a piping bag with a large open star tip. This one has a twist to it, but you don't need one for this design.
 I also had ridiculous amounts of fresh raspberries. Here they sell them in 100g packages. I used four and a half of those.
 Then I put down my first layer of vanilla cake. This is a nine inch round. I piped a dam of raspberry buttercream.
 And I filled the cake with a good amount of the same raspberry jam I used to flavor the buttercream.
 And I added the second layer.
 Then I frosted the cake with a quick crumb coat.
 And I cleaned up my cake base before chilling it in the fridge for half an hour.
 While the cake was chilling, I prepared my white chocolate ganache. White chocolate is difficult for us because my daughter is lactose intolerant. So, I used lactose free white chocolate and lactose free cream. For this one, I only had one 80g bar of white chocolate and I added about two tablespoons of cream to it before microwaving it to melt the chocolate and get everything to combine.

However, may I mention, that melted white chocolate, when it's real white chocolate and not candy melts, turns a weird yellow-brown color.
 So, I added some white food coloring before adding it to a piping bag without a tip.
 Then I frosted my cold cake again and smoothed it really well before cleaning up the cake base again.
 And I used my piping bag to pipe a drip around the edge of the cake. I only covered the very edge this time as I didn't want the drip to cover the top. But the ganache was just a touch thick, so I had nice big drips.
 I covered the edge of the drip with big swirls of raspberry buttercream.
 I looked through the raspberries and picked out the biggest, prettiest ones to top the swirls.
 Then I lined the bottom of the cake with pretty raspberries as well.
 As a final touch, I filled the center with raspberries as well.
 I am in love with this cake!
 I mean, it's one of those cakes that everyone just can't wait to eat.
 I do need to remind you to add the raspberries the same day you serve it. Fresh fruit doesn't keep long.
 But it was quite popular at the birthday party.
 Happy fiftieth birthday, Markus!





To watch us make this amazing raspberry cake on YouTube, click here: https://youtu.be/WYfKU1nM-Hg
Um zuzuschauen, wie wir diese wunderschöne Himbeertorte auf YouTube machen, hier klicken: https://youtu.be/zenjKWH8_X0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper