Black and White Birthday Cake

This birthday cake is for my boss's birthday at work. She didn't want anything specific. She only requested that it not look like a child's cake.

I can handle that.

I started out with red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting.
 I crumb coated the cake.
 And while it was chilling, I colored some cream cheese frosting black.
 Worked immediately.
 Then I got out a small round tip and a medium star piping tip.
 And put both of them in piping bags with black buttercream.
Then I frosted the cake again. I didn't want to see the cake through the frosting.
 I'm also using gold and white sanding sugar.
 Ironically, I couldn't find my Happy Birthday press, so I used Best Wishes instead.
 You can't see it very well, but I pressed it into the middle of the cake.
 And I traced around it with black buttercream.
 Then, using the star tip, I piped a shell border along the bottom of the cake, and a few evenly-spaced swirls along the top.
 I'm also using two flourish presses.
 I pressed them into the side of the cake.
 And I traced over them with black buttercream and left dots at every curl.
 Then I sprinkled white sanding sugar on the black swirls and the shell border.
 Finally, I sprinkled gold sanding sugar between the swirls and on the shell border as well.
 I love this cake. It's such a perfectly elegant way to say Happy Birthday in a very grown-up way.
 Happy Birthday, Nina!






Watch us make this cake on my YouTube channel here: https://youtu.be/XwRtGaIKVk0
Schaut zu wie wir diese Torte auf YouTube machen hier: https://youtu.be/D3gcCBLrMf8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper