Springtime Robin Mother's Day Cake

This cake was made in honor of my surrogate mother, Bonnie Jean, and her sister, Julie, who have been my biggest supporters from the first day I wrote my first blog post. So grateful for them. And I decided they needed to be honored on Mother's day.

I made a recipe of red velvet cake and filled and frosted it with vegan American buttercream.

 Then I mixed up a whole bunch of pastel colors of fondant: green, blue, yellow, purple, pink and orange.
 I covered the cake with pastel green fondant.
 I rolled out all the other colors and used small flower cutters to cut out a whole bunch of different flowers out of every color. The kids helped me with this step.
 I scattered the flowers all over the cake.
 Pastel flower fun!
 Then I took a ball of gum paste.
 And modeled it into a simple bird shape.
 I used a flat tool to add some wings and feather texture in the bird.
 I pressed in some eyes with a small ball tool. I also added a line through the beak with a knife.
 I mixed some yellow with some red food coloring and painted the breast and about half the face.
 Then I mixed some brown and black food coloring and thinned it down and painted the rest of the bird. I also made the eyes black.
 Then I place the robin on top of the pastel cake.
 I know Bonnie Jean and Julie both love little song birds.
 What says Mother's Day better than pastel flowers and song birds?
 Happy Mother's Day!






Watch us make this lovely creation on our YouTube channel here: https://youtu.be/fa6lABgBtUQ
Schaut zu wie wir diese schöne Torte auf unserem YouTube Kanal hier: https://youtu.be/pkSAQG4z2cs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper