Buttercream Dragon Cake

This cake was one we didn't eat ourselves for the first time in weeks! It was for my dear friend's birthday. Every year I make her a dragon cake for her birthday. This is dragon cake number three from me. This year I decided to break tradition and make it buttercream instead of fondant covered.

I was inspired by an epic buttercream dragon cake on the channel Carulli Cakes:  https://youtu.be/7bopHZd5wos

My friend loves chocolate cake. So, I made chocolate cake and a full batch of Swiss meringue buttercream and colored it orange. I stacked and crumb coated the cake and put it in the fridge to chill for a few minutes to set up.
 While the cake was chilling, I prepared the few fondant decorations I used in the cake. I rolled out some orange fondant and cut out some eye shapes.
 I tilted the eyes upwards and placed a black slit in the center of the eyes. I also rolled a small snake of black fondant and wrapped it around the eyes.
 Then I painted some orange and red edible paint and painted the irises of the dragon's eyes.
 Then I made some gray horns. Two larger and two smaller ones.
 I also put most of the rest of the buttercream into a piping bag with a round piping tip.
 Then I frosted the cake again.
 I placed the eyes onto the side of the cake.
 And I began piping small petals as scales.
 I started the lines in the middle and moved outward all the way around the cake.
 Then I surrounded the eyes with scales.
 I added another line of these scales around the eyes.
 And kept going around the lines, filling in any gaps.
 And covered the cake with piped scales.
 The back had a few more pointed scales at the edges to give a bit more texture.

 Then I placed the large horns onto the middle of the cake.
 And two more smaller horns in front of them.
 Yep. I love it.
 This dragon is completely different than the ones I made before, but I am absolutely in love.
 This cake reminds me a bit of the pink buttercream cat cake I made a year or so ago. Simple, but effective.
 Happy birthday, Lisa!






Watch us make this surprisingly simply dragon cake on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/NeH72lnrTHw
Schaut zu wie wir diese überraschend einfache Drachetorte auf YouTube machen hier: https://youtu.be/reCJFjGfi0s

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper