Recipe: Homemade Candy Corn

 Candy corn is something I remember from my childhood. I've always liked it. I know that's a controversial opinion. So, I was disappointed to discover that candy corn isn't available outside the United States.

Then, last year, a friend of mine brought some candy corn from the US and after eating some, I realized it wouldn't be too difficult to make. It's really very similar to fondant. So, I tried a few variations until I got it as close as I could to store bought flavor.



Homemade Candy Corn:
100g white fondant
1 tbsp honey
3/4 tsp vanilla extract or ground vanilla beans
1 tsp tylo powder
powdered sugar to maintain consistency
yellow and red gel food coloring


Beginning with the white fondant, I kneaded it a bit and added the vanilla extract to it.

Since vanilla extract is a liquid, it breaks down the fondant a bit and makes it very sticky.
So, I added some extra powdered sugar until it returned to fondant consistency.
Then I added the honey.
Honey is even stickier than vanilla extract, so the mixture became VERY sticky. Add as much powdered sugar as you need to get it back to fondant consistency.
It will eventually return to fondant texture.
Now, candy corn is relatively hard compared to fondant, so I added some tylo powder to the fondant so it will dry harder than fondant will on its own.

Then I split the fondant into three pieces. One maybe 10g, one about 50g and one about 40g. I didn't weigh them, but that's about what I would guess based on the percentage of the whole.
The two larger balls I mixed together and added some yellow food coloring.
Then I split them again and added some red food coloring to the large ball.
It didn't quite get the color I wanted, so I added some more red.
This is about the ratio I ended up with.
I was able to split each color into four relatively equal pieces. Then I took one of each color, rolled the white into a ball, made a donut out the orange and placed it around the white and rolled the yellow into a thick snake.
Then I wrapped the yellow around the orange and pressed it down a bit with the rolling pin to make the top flat. It should still be fairly thick.
Then, cut the circle into quarters.
And the quarter into thirds.

Round the corners a bit. And you can leave them out to dry out a bit for a few hours or overnight.
And let me tell you, these taste very close to store bought candy corn.
Happy Halloween!

Watch us make this homemade candy corn on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/5aD_C0Nw8dM
Schaut zu wie wir diese selbstgemachte Candy Corn auf YouTube machen hier: https://youtu.be/_C53Cp8cbvY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper