Epic Disney Montage Cake

 This cake was a commission. I haven't had a commission in so long that I was really excited to make it. This ended up the most epic cake I have ever made. So excited about it!

They wanted a Disney themed cake with lots of different films featured, but they specifically wanted Tarzan and Lion King on it as well as lots of princesses. This was for their daughter's birthday. Even though she couldn't have a party this year, she really wanted a nice cake.

I made a list of possible films I could feature on the cake and eventually chose 10: Lion King, Tarzan, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Frozen, Moana, and Rapunzel.

I made a few sketches before I began, although I ended up changing my mind later, but this was part of the creative process.
I modeled a shoe out of gum paste and covered it with white luster dust so it sparkled a bit. Cinderella's shoe.
I also modeled a red apple with a brown stem and a bit out of one side. Snow White.
And I made a disc out of green and pressed a swirl onto it and painted it with green food coloring. Moana.
I made a small red rose including stem and leaves. Beauty and the Beast.
I modeled an Elsa figure. I share the how in a separate tutorial. Frozen.
I also modeled a Princess Aurora figure. Also in another tutorial. Sleeping Beauty.
After try and miserably failing to make a 3D Simba figure, I eventually settled on 2D. I'm much better with that. Also a separate tutorial. Lion King.
I also decided to make a 2D topper for Tarzan. Once again, a separate tutorial. There were just so many pieces to this cake. Tarzan.
True confessions: I overbaked this cake. This cake ended up with a very dark top. If this ever happens to you, it is amazing how good the cake in the middle still is. All you have to do is cut off the dark top and the crispy edges. So that's exactly what I did.
Then I filled the cake with Swiss meringue buttercream.
I pressed more chocolate chips in the middle of the cake.
And finished stacking the cake.
Then I crumb coated the cake. Notice it is slightly off-center. I did that on purpose.
Then I frosted the cake again and cleaned up the cake board.
Then I took some green, white, yellow and blue fondant and marbled them together. I thought about the colors that most of the Disney films have, like green for Tarzan and Moana, yellow for Lion King and Beauty and the Beast, blue for Frozen and Snow White, etc. I added white to keep it from getting too dark. And I left out purple and pink because they didn't really go with the other colors.
I rolled out the marbled fondant.
And covered the cake with it. I had some cracking on the edges, but I had so many decorations that it didn't worry me too much.
I used a Disney letter cutter to cut out the birthday girl's name out of white fondant and glued it onto the side of the cake with the most space on the cake board. That should be the front.
Then I placed her age in the middle of the cake.
I used a fondant press mold to make a mermaid's tail. The Little Mermaid.
And another press mold to make some white sea shells.
Then I placed the mermaid tail on a space that is very blue and placed the shells nearby with the Heart of Tafiti.
I placed the two 2D toppers on the top of the cake. As well as the two figures on either side of the name. And I braided a yellow braid and placed it on the edge of the cake. Rapunzel.
Then I added some tiny purple flowers to the braid.
I made a sash out of yellow fondant.
Glued it to the edge in a space that is a bit more yellow. And added the rose.

Then I placed the apple on the last bit of the space on the top of the cake. I rolled out some dark blue fondant and pressed some red into the spaces and glued it onto the side of the cake under the apple.

Then, in the last space around the side of the cake, I placed the shoe.

Yes, this is the most epic cake I've ever made. Thank you for asking.

Covered with decorations everywhere you look.
And just perfect for a girl who loves Lion King, Tarzan and all princess movies.
I am super proud of this cake. I spent over 8 hours on it in total.
Happy Birthday, Romy!







Watch us make this epic cake on our YouTube channel here: https://youtu.be/qQLuNOflQLc
Schaut zu wie wir diese großartige Torte auf unserem YouTube Kanal machen hier: https://youtu.be/QwIIfjzQuvI

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper