Rainbow Buttercream Dragon Cake

 I have a friend who always wants a dragon cake for her birthday. So, I try to make something new every year. Here are a few I've made in the past:



But this year I wanted to do something different. 

First I melted and tempered some white chocolate.

And placed it in a piping bag.
Then I got a couple of skewers.
And piped some chocolate wings.
I also piped some horns and small little horns out of white chocolate.
I have one layer each of vegan chocolate cake of 6-inch, 5-inch and 4-inch.
The 6-inch and 4-inch layers I cut in half.
And I cut a wedge out of the 5-inch cake.
And I set up the cake like this. The center of the dragon is the 6-inch layer. The legs on either side is the 4-inch cake. Then the 5-inch layer is cut into a wedge for the head and strips for the neck, tail and front legs.
I stuck the cake down with Swiss meringue buttercream.

Then I rounded the edges and made the connections to other cake layers more seamless.
Loving it so far.
Then I frosted the cake with white buttercream, taking my time with a small spatula.

Love it even more.
Then I colored the buttercream in rainbow colors, including black.
And I chose all the medium round tips I had.
And I put all the buttercream in piping bags with the round tips.
I started with the head. I piped some orange buttercream on the top of the head. I'm piping in a petal technique used to make it look like it had scales.
Then I piped red and yellow along the sides of the face.
I also piped green, purple and blue along the neck.
And red across the back in opposite directions.
Then orange along the edges.
And then yellow.
I continued in rainbow order.
I piped a little face on with black. Although this was too cartoony for me, so I overlapped it with more scales to cover them a bit and made it more natural looking.
I also added my friend's name, Lisa on the board. And I piped the feet with purple.
Finally, I inserted the chocolate wings and spines on the head and smaller ones along the back.
I love how it turned out.
I love the color and the buttercream.
I love the name.
I love the chocolate horns.
I love the cute feet. Seriously, this is exactly what I wanted to give my friend.
Happy birthday, Lisa!


Watch us make this epic dragon cake on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/lJmM9uo6AcQ
Schaut zu wie wir diese wunderschöne Drache Torte auf YouTube machen hier: https://youtu.be/WPP73H69x5U

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper