Climber's Cake

 This cake was an order from a friend for her husband's birthday. He loves rock climbing.

I made one recipe of vanilla cake in 5 and 6 inch round cakes.

And I made a recipe of strawberry Swiss meringue buttercream. I know, it doesn't look like strawberry. But I colored it with brown food coloring. After all, he likes rock climbing. Not pink cloud climbing.
Before I fill the cake, I want to carve it. So, I stacked the cakes on top of each other.
And I cut a slice out of one side and stacked it a bit on top.
And I rounded the sides to make it look more coherent.
Now we're finally ready to fill the cake. So, I spread a thin layer of buttercream and slice some fresh strawberries to fill the cake with.
This also adds some height to the cake.
I used a piping bag without a tip to pipe on the brown strawberry buttercream.
And I smoothed it with a spatula.
I think it looked quite rock-like.
I placed a few whole strawberries onto the side of the cake.
And I began making a climbing figure. This is really not my strength, so please no snarky comments.
I added hands, feet and gray rocks.

Then I added a rope to the climber.

I also added some grass and moss to the rock.

And I took some butter cookies and made them into crumbs.
And I spread the board with buttercream.
And pressed the cookie crumbs into it.
Even with the dodgy climber, I was really happy with this cake.
My friend was really happy with it and they especially loved how it tasted.
Happy birthday, Jan.








Watch us make this cake on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/jZEgZs5rXXs
Schaut zu wie wir diese Torte auf YouTube machen hier: https://youtu.be/PezllJP9d2A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper