Vlog: I have made a decision.... - First Steps of Becoming a German Citizen

 So, I have made a decision. It's kind of a big deal for me. It doesn't really affect the greater world, but it will be a major deal for me.


I have decided to apply for German citizenship. I thought I'd go through the 10 requirements Germany has for those who want to become naturalized citizens.

1. You must have lived in the country at least 8 years.

Check. I've lived in Germany for 13 years now.

2. You have to have an unlimited visa at the time of application.

Check. When I first moved to Germany, I had a 1 year visa with restricted work permit. In that first year, I married my German husband, so when I renewed my visa, I was granted a 3 year visa with unrestricted work permit. When I went to renew the visa again, I brought a very tall stack of paperwork with me, and was granted an unlimited visa with unrestricted work permit. I've had it since then.

3. You must have a clarified identity and citizenship.

Are there really people who don't have this? Don't steal people's identities, people.

4. You must be familiar with the German constitution and basic laws.

Not a big problem. I could brush up on this before the big day.

5. In general, you must give up your previous citizenship.

This is the one that hurts the most and is the reason I haven't applied before. However, having an American passport seems less advantageous lately than having a German passport. I think I'm ready.

6. You must speak the German language at at least a B1 level.

Also not a problem. Although, I may have to take a test to demonstrate my fluency. Unless they accept my college transcripts as language classes. They may.

7. You must pass the citizenship test.

Not too worried about this one. Most of the questions are really easy. There are a few questions about the finer points of politics that I should really brush up on. Otherwise, not concerned about passing this one.

8. You must be able to pay for your own living and all those dependent upon you.

99.8% sure I make enough to keep them happy. I do have two children, so I'm not sure what exact amount is expected, but fairly certain I earn enough.

9. You must be willing to conform to the standards of the country of Germany. In particular, you may not be married to more than one person.

I found this question funny. I am married. But only to one person. I guess I'm okay. :D

10. You must not have been convicted of a crime.

Check. I work at a bank, which has even higher standards than the German government. I don't anticipate this being an actual problem.

So, I will continue to update you all as I move through this journey. Every step will be enumerated and my experience documented. I hope you enjoy following me on this journey.

Watch me talk about this in more detail on my YouTube channel here: https://youtu.be/WRrVN26G-FE
Schaut zu wie ich darüber rede auf meinem YouTube Kanal hier: https://youtu.be/HMHzCUlKfBE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper