Tutorial: How to Make Refried Beans

 I have found it difficult to find certain ingredients in Germany. Particularly refried beans. Sometimes I will get lucky and find a can or two in the international section of a large grocery store, but lately, my local large grocery store has completely stopped selling it. So, I decided it was time to learn to make it myself. It can't possibly be that difficult, right? And I wanted to share the way I found to make them with you.

Refried Beans:
Two cans (800g) chili beans (must be based on pinto beans)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup (120mL) water
salt
garlic
dried onions to taste

The main ingredient you absolutely need is pinto beans. Now, pinto beans are not super popular in Germany, so I had to get creative. I had difficulty finding pinto beans alone, but if they are more readily available where you are from, then feel free to start with cooked and hydrated pinto beans. 

I discovered that chili beans are typically made from pinto beans here, so I had to first drain the chili part off of them. I opened both cans and put them in a strainer and ran some water over them to rinse off the chili flavor. These will still be more spicy than pinto beans alone, but I have nothing against that in any dish I would be using refried beans.

Then, in a large frying pan, add the olive oil. Heat it over high heat.
Add the beans, water and spices. If you are using real onions instead of dried, then brown them briefly in the oil before adding the beans. Ditto for fresh garlic.
Allow it to cook in the water until the liquid reduces to only a few tablespoons left.

Then, using the back of a spoon, press the beans down to squash them. If you want them very soft, then try using a potato masher or even an immersion blender. I prefer having a bit more chunks, so the back of the spoon worked find for me.
The last of the liquid should disappear as you do this.
And you are left with gorgeous refried beans that are slightly spicier than beans alone. But this totally works for most recipes calling for refried beans. And, although using two cans of beans as a base, you might think this would be a large amount, but it's really only slightly more than what you would get in a single can of refried beans.
I hope this helps with another immigrant longing for good TexMex food.



Watch us make this simple recipe on our YouTube channel here: https://youtu.be/B-wHMKtLWJ4
Schaut zu wie wir dieses einfache Rezept auf unserem YouTube Kanal machen hier: https://youtu.be/_9pgYuI4Yn8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper