Tutorial: How to Make 2D Paw Patrol Cake Toppers Featuring Skye and Everest

 Two things: First off, my daughter loves Paw Patrol. Second, I'm not the best modeler in the world. I try, but don't often succeed.

However, I've come to realize that especially when making recognizable characters, it is much easier and much more effective to make them 2D using a template than trying to model the characters from scratch.

Hence, for my daughter's birthday cake, I decided to make Skye and Everest as 2D cake toppers using a template.

First, here are my templates:



When choosing a template to use, you want to choose a simplified image with as few colors as possible.

Since I'm making two figures, I begin by making a background to stabilize the image so it can be picked up as one piece and place on the cake. I used a circle cutter and cut out two white fondant circles.

Then I rolled out more white fondant and traced around the lines with a pointed fondant tool to make an impression in the fondant. Then I cut around the outside with a knife.
I used the same pointed tool to make the lines deeper in the fondant.
Then I cut out the parts of the figure that were not white. Her hat, the inside of her ears, her eyes, her nose, her dog tag and the side of her face.
Then I rolled out some lavender fondant and traced it the same way as the white. Then I cut out the parts of the face that were purple. The hat, side of the face, dog tag and eyes. (I know her eyes are actually blue. She's a husky. But I decided to simplify it even more to make it easier on me. Feel free to use blue for the eyes if you want to.)
Then I placed the cut out pieces onto the white face.

I didn't take pictures of the rest of the assembly of Everest, but I cut out the inside of the ears out of pink and the nose out of black. I also rolled out black fondant really thin and cut out some small circles with a round piping tip and placed them in Everest's eyes and placed a tiny dot of white into her eyes as catch lights.

Next, I am working on Skye. I cut her pilot's goggles and eyes out of pink.

I cut out her face out of light brown and the snout out of white.
I placed the white, brown and pink onto the background.
I pressed the shape of the face into the figure. Now, the circles around Skye's eyes is darker brown than her face. However, if I had cut it out and replaced it with dark brown, it would compromise the size and shape of the face and probably make it fall apart. So, to save it, I left it intact. That's why, instead of placing the eyes inside holes like with Everest, with Skye I decided to place them on top of each other. Just keep the fondant thin. White, then pink, then black and a tiny ball of white on top. I also placed a ball of black onto the nose.
I cut out Skye's fluffy ears from medium brown and rolled a couple little cones from the same fondant and glued them on the forehead.
So far, I love them. But they're not quite complete.
Finally, I added some shading on Skye's face with brown food coloring thinned down with alcohol. It made the rings around the eyes darker, the lines in the ears and around the face. I did the same thing on Everest's face with black food coloring thinned with alcohol. Then I painted the eyelashes and eyebrows with unthinned black food coloring.
But I love the way they turned out.
Skye is absolutely recognizable.
And so is Everest. That smile is unmistakable.

Watch us make these gorgeous 2D toppers on our YouTube channel here: https://youtu.be/CePuaLpUDHg
Schaut zu wie wir diese schöne 2D Aufsätze auf unserem YouTube Kanal hier: https://youtu.be/ISO167cuTHU


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper