Tutorial: How to Make a Simple Sleeping Beauty Figure

 In case you hadn't noticed, I'm not the best modeller in the world. So, I only make simple figures. 

I wanted to model a Sleeping Beauty figure. Princess Aurora has a very distinctive dress. So that's really what I decided to concentrate on.

I started out with some pink fondant that I added some tylo powder to. The tylo powder is important. Or, you can use gum paste, but fondant alone will be too soft and won't keep the form that you want.

Then I colored some of it a bit deeper pink so we have two tones of pink.
I took some of the lighter pink and rolled it into a thick sausage. I cut the bottom flat and tapered it slightly toward the top. Then cut it into a V.
Then, using the deeper pink, I rolled it into another sausage, rolled a dip into the middle to create a waist and cut the bottom into an inverted V so it fit just right into the skirt. Then I pressed the top to be a bit flatter and cut the top into a very shallow V.
Then, using the lighter pink, I rolled out a zig-zag strip and glued it onto the connection between the skirt and the bust.
Then, using flesh-colored fondant, I pinched a neck into it, and cut the bottom relatively flat and pressed it onto the top of the bust. And I pushed a toothpick into the figure.
Then I rolled some thin, light pink snakes and glued them onto the shoulders and rested them on the belly.
Then I made a couple mitten-shaped hands and pressed them together and glued them at the end of the arms. But one of the really important parts of the dress to recognize it as Aurora, is the sash around the shoulders. I rolled out some white fondant and cut it into thin strips. Then I angled them down to cover the connections between the shoulders and arms as well as the neck and bust. Now I recognize Aurora's dress!
I rolled a ball of flesh-colored fondant and pushed it onto the toothpick to hold it in place. Then I covered the back of the head with yellow fondant, cutting the bottom straight about shoulder-length. Then, I covered the top of her head with thin snakes of fondant because the top of Aurora's hair is quite wavy. I also pressed some lines into them to make them look more like hair.
And I dragged the pointed end of the sculpting tool through the snakes of hair to blend it into the long part of the hair.
I decided not to spend tons of time modelling the face. I'm keeping the face simple. I just painted on two eyes with black dots of food coloring and the mouth with red. I also made a pointed crown with white fondant and painted it with gold edible paint.
This kind of figure is great because almost anyone could make it and have it be recognizable.
At the same time, anyone who glances at it will recognize Princess Aurora.


Watch us make this Sleep Beauty Topper on our YouTube channel here: https://youtu.be/owBDnlditOk
Schaut zu wie wir diesen Dornröschen Aufsatz auf unserem YouTube Kanal machen hier: https://youtu.be/cSC2m0_4Evc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress up a Sheet Cake: White on White Wedding Cake

Dairy-Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Tutorial: How to Make a 2D Simba Cake Topper